Tuesday, August 29, 2006

buckyballs to buckypaper to buckybooks

Correction!
Doc Nokes points out in the comments that he confused 'buckypaper' with 'smartpaper'... I neglected to read this correction at his blog.
WE

--
Dr Nokes (at Unlocked Wordhoard) rocks the mike and spreads the meme for the future of paper and the future of the book:

"

Buckypaper and the End of Print Literature

Scribal Terror has a link to this article in Science Daily about buckypaper. I first heard about buckypaper a few years ago, but in a much different (and more significant) context.

Though it is not mentioned in the article, one of the potential uses for buckypaper that I heard discussed in those days was to make buckybooks (sorry, I have no link -- I heard this long ago). The idea, as I remember it, was to have paper made entirely of buckyballs that were dark on one side and light on the other. The "off" setting for the balls would be for the light side to be facing out. When current was run through the buckyballs, they would flip over so that the dark side was showing. By selectively turning some on and turning some off, you could create writing on the page (much as a marquee sign does by turning lights on and off).

The article talks about a lot of less important uses, like body armor, shielding airplanes from lightning strikes, etc. While all those things are nice, none of them will change the world. Buckypaper has the potential to change the world as significantly as Gutenberg's printing press...

"

2 comments:

Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

I hate to disagree with myself, but if you look at the comments, you'll see that I screwed up, and in my hazy memory had conflated buckyballs with SmartPaper.

I posted a retraction here:
http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2005/10/correction-buckyballs-and-smart-paper.html

Anonymous said...

Noted!
Thanks Doc.
WE