Wednesday, July 12, 2006

teaching 7

Give them what they need, whether the students want it or not, whether your you ride high as uber-nerd or not, whether their professors like it or not, and whether you like it or not.

I've found that when I concentrate on teaching them what I've planned, step by step, I get caught up in the rush of explaining how to use databases, how to use catalogs, how to use books, so that it doesn't feel so much like I'm doing the teaching, but like the stuff they that needs to get taught is using me as an agent. As freaky as that might sound. And this is good. Removing myself from the equation so the content of my lesson can fill the space that "I" took up. Be a conduit.

That may be the way forward. And be open to questions. That's all.

--

Surfing: The Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Database

No comments: